Please note: The search for this position is now closed; thank you for your interest!
The mission of stone circles at The Stone House is to sustain and strengthen people working for transformation and justice. stone circles was founded in 1995; in 2007 the organization created The Stone House, one of the only social justice-oriented centers for retreat and training in the country. Located in Mebane, NC, stone circles at The Stone House welcomes over 1,000 people each year for radical hospitality, spiritual retreat, leadership training and work on the land. The Stone House is comprised of 70 acres and multiple buildings. The organization has 5 core staff, 12 additional support staff and contractors, and a robust network of volunteers and advisors. The organization is governed by a national Board of Directors.
Having successfully established The Stone House, which receives over 1,000 people each year, established strategic vision and programming, and created a diverse revenue stream, stone circles is now in search of a dynamic and seasoned Executive Director to lead the organization through its next phase of growth. We are looking for someone who can lead with humility and strength.
The Executive Director is the leader of the organization and stone circles’ primary representative in the outside world; they must be both grounded in a social justice orientation and skilled at resource development. The Executive Director is responsible for stewarding the organization’s vision, achieving its mission consistently, providing strategic leadership, ensuring financial and organizational sustainability, and overseeing organizational management. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and supervises the Associate Director, Program and Fundraising Support and fundraising consultants.
Strategic Leadership and Constituency Building
- Ensure strategic focus on organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Serve as the public face and primary spokesperson for stone circles, increase the organization’s visibility, and communicate the essence of the vision to external stakeholders.
- Create, maintain, and refresh networks of individuals and organizations whose expertise and partnership provide support and enable stone circles to meet its programmatic, advocacy and financial goals and fulfill its mission.
- Oversee strategy for program development and delivery.
Resource Development and Fundraising
- Develop and execute overall fundraising strategy and plan to ensure long-term growth and financial security for stone circles; set and secure the annual goals.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with individual donors and private foundations, in collaboration with the Development Associate and Board of Directors.
- Oversee expansion of earned income strategies, implementing business plan, in collaboration with the Associate Director.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the Board in strategy, fundraising, institutional and financial governance and oversight, and miscellaneous matters.
- Develop, partner with, activate and motivate the Board to support and act on the organization’s goals and mission, and grow their capacity; serve as staff lead for the Governance Committee.
Financial and Organizational Oversight
- Inspire and lead staff by fostering a participatory and mission-driven culture and a positive, productive work environment. Adapt organizational structure, staffing and governance in order to realize annual goals and strategic priorities.
- Promote a communications strategy that advances partnerships for the organization; participate in and approve of strategy decisions about organizational messaging.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS and QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have significant strengths in leadership and resource development and a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the non-profit sector. stone circles is living into its potential to transform the social justice movement. The Executive Director will be results-oriented and entrepreneurial, ready to shape this big vision and translate it into everyday reality.
More specifically, stone circles seeks someone who has:
- Ability to thrive in a creative and fast-moving environment, ability to manage multiple priorities and move work forward on numerous fronts simultaneously.
- Strong experience with social justice and anti-oppression work, the current social justice landscape and a wide variety of spiritual traditions and practices.
- Strong capacity for strategic thinking and the ability to develop comprehensive, programmatic, and organization-building strategies for the organization’s growth.
- Cultivated institutional funder relationships or worked with high-worth donors and grassroots fundraising; some track record in resource development.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including talent in relationship-building, public presentations, and writing, as well as analytical, planning and marketing skills.
- Strong, inclusive managerial style to nourish and maximize staff and board energy.
- Experience in financial management, developing and overseeing organizational budgets.
- Fluency with Mac computer systems, Microsoft Office applications, Google apps, and databases.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly, both within North Carolina and nationally.
- Interest in living on the land at The Stone House.
A portion of this job is performed in an office setting in a rural location. Significant travel and program delivery makes up the remainder of time. Flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, are often required.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, including the names and contact information for three references, by email to email@example.com by January 7, 2013. No phone calls please.
This is a full-time exempt position. Compensation includes base salary commensurate with experience, health and dental insurance, and a generous leave policy including retreat, vacation and sick time.
stone circles is an equal opportunity employer, a diverse organization and one committed to an anti-oppression analysis, policies and ways of being. We strongly encourage people of color to apply for this position.